BS EN 60947-3 Low-voltage switchgear and control gear. Switches, disconnectors, switch-disconnectors and fuse-combination units
Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear. Switches, disconnectors, switch-disconnectors and fuse-combination units
Publication Date: 31 July 2009
Amendment May 2012. Amends and replaces BS EN 60947-3:2009 which remains current. Corrigendum January 2013.
BS EN 60947-3 applies to switches, disconnectors, switch-disconnectors and fuse-combination units to be used in distribution circuits and motor circuits of which the rated voltage does not exceed 1 000 V a.c. or 1 500 V d.c.
The manufacturer shall specify the type, ratings and characteristics according to the relevant standard of any incorporated fuses. This part does not apply to equipment coming within the scope of IEC 60947-2, IEC 60947-4-1 and IEC 60947-5-1; however, when switches and fuse-combination units coming into the scope of this part are normally used to start, accelerate and/or stop an individual motor they shall also comply with any additional requirements.
The requirements for single pole operated three pole switches and Auxiliary switches fitted to equipment within the scope of this part shall comply with the requirements of IEC 60947-5-1.
BS EN 60947-3 does not include the additional requirements necessary for electrical apparatus for explosive gas atmospheres.
The object of this part is to state:
* The characteristics of the equipment
* The conditions with which the equipment shall comply with reference to:
1) Operation and behaviour in normal service
2) Operation and behaviour in case of specified abnormal conditions, e.g. short circuit
3) Dielectric properties
* The tests for confirming that these conditions have been met and the methods to be adopted for these tests
* The information to be marked on the equipment or made available by the manufacturer, e.g. in the catalogue.